Southern Oregon Volleyball Club aspires to be a premier junior volleyball club providing a positive experience for all players in terms of practice, position, playing time and competition. It is often a difficult balance for our coaches to maintain a highly competitive environment and monitor playing time equally so that all participants feel a sense of fairness. To help find this balance, we have adopted the following guidelines:
- Each team will practice 2 times a week throughout the season. Practice begins the first week of December for Elite and Competitive teams, and after the New Year for Developmental teams. There will be a break for the Holiday and New Year and practices will begin again at the start of January.
- Each team will be made up of 8-12 players.
- No player is guaranteed a specific position. All positions are determined by the coach. The coach will assess the strengths and weaknesses of the team to determine where an athlete best fits the line-up.
- There will be three descriptions used for the caliber of teams: Elite, Competitive, and Developmental. Based on the caliber of team, additional guidelines will apply. Athletes trying out for positions on these teams will be asked to fill out a profile indicating their level of commitment in order to determine whether they are willing to abide by the requirements of playing on a particular team. Elite teams are designated for the 18's, 17's, 16's, 15's and 14's only, and unless otherwise stated will be required to complete our longest season.
- Club membership fees guarantee practice time and instruction by qualified, well trained coaches - NOT playing time in tournaments. Playing time is determined by the coach according to the level of the team the player is assigned.
- Elite teams will participate in An Elite team player can be specialized (setter, middle hitter, libero, etc.). It is possible that a player may only play through the front or back rows and be substituted out.
- An Elite team player is expected to have an extremely high level of commitment to club volleyball. An Elite team member is required to be in attendance at all tournaments. Team competitions and practices should be her top priority over other extra-curricular activities, except in-season school sports.
- Playing time will be determined by the coach in the competitive situation to allow the team to compete at its highest potential. Playing time is earned based on attendance, level of effort, training performance, and game performance. Where the development of each player’s skills and competitiveness are a primary goal of this club, the success of the team will more than likely outweigh the concerns of individual players. Coaches will ensure that every player will play in each scheduled tournament subject to the above, unless disciplinary action is being taken.
- A competitive team player may be specialized, but all players can expect to receive some front and back row playing experience. Coaches will work with players to help develop all around skills. In some cases, a player may not have the physical characteristics to play front row or back row and the coach will discuss this specialization with the player.
- A fair amount of playing time for every player will be the goal of this team. Effort and attendance at practice is stressed and playing time is directly related to practice performance (effort and success) and attendance. Competitive players can expect to play an average of 40% of games played throughout the season.
- The emphasis on this team will be the all-around development of the individual player. A positive environment in which the self-esteem of each individual player is enhanced and enjoyment of the game of volleyball is given.
- Developmental team players can expect to play front and back rows.
- Playing time will be maximized on the court for a growing experience in volleyball. Effort and attendance will be expected to allow for maximum playing time. Developmental players can expect to play an average of 50% of games played throughout the season.